Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home > Isle Of Wight > Isle of Wight

Most viewed - Isle Of Wight

046 at Ryde Works.5 viewsIn September 1975, the Driving Motor Car of 4-VEC set number 046, car number S25S, was fire damaged at Ryde St Johns Road, and was withdrawn from service, as being beyond economic repair. The unfortunate S25S is seen nearly three years later, lanquishing at the rear of Ryde Works, awaiting its fate in July 1978. A product of the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Company in 1927, its original fleet number with London Transport had been 3313.
483006 departs from Sandown.4 views483006 runs over a carpet of green as it departs from Sandown with the 15.50 Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin service on the 12th July 2010.
483007 departs from Sandown.4 views483007 leaves the station loop at the south end of Sandown, and enters the single line section to Lake and Shanklin. The unit is about to commence the 1in80 gradient, that tested the steam hauled trains of the past. 12th July 2010.
483006 at Ryde St Johns Road Depot.3 views483006 in the Depot yard at Ryde St Johns Road, on the hot afternoon of the 10th July 2010.

483007 on Ryde Pier.3 viewsWith the spire of All Saints Church dominating the skyline, 483007 rumbles up Ryde Pier to meet the catamaran from Portsmouth on the 9th July 2010. The site of the abandoned pier tramway is visible on the right of this scene.
483006 at Sandown Station.3 views483006 waits for custom at Sandown whilst working the 15.50 Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin service, on the 12th July 2010. This unit was the last to carry the old dinosaur blue livery until reliveried into LT style colours in 2009.
483007 departs from Sandown.3 viewsAmidst encroaching vegatation, and well used rails, 483007 departs from Sandown, whilst working from Shanklin to Ryde Pier Head on the 12th July 2010.
483006 at Ryde St Johns Road.3 viewsA view between the third rail electrical substation at Ryde St Johns Road, and the scaffolding clad signalbox, sees 483006 stabled in the Depot yard on the 9th July 2010.

483008 departs from Brading.3 views483008 accelerates northbound away from Brading Station, and is about to pass over Jones Footpath Crossing, close to the site of the junction where the two and a quarter mile branch line turned away towards Bembridge, closed in September 1953. 14/7/10.
485043 & 486031 cross at Sandown.3 viewsA pair of units cross in the loop at Sandown on the 15th July 1989. On the right 485043 is on a Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin Service, whilst on the left is 486031, northbound en-route from Shanklin to Ryde Pier Head. The line north of Sandown was originally double track, the second line installed by the Southern Railway in 1927.This section to Brading was singled in 1988. The lofty signalbox here was built by Saxby & Farmer in 1893 and was designed to look out over the now demolished platform canopy.
Class 05, 05001 at Sandown.3 viewsBuilt by Hunslet in 1956, as number 11140, the loco worked on the Eastern Region of BR, and was sent across to the Isle of Wight in 1966 to assist with the electrification works as D2554. The loco was retained after electrification in 1967 for engineering work, and was renumbered in a class of its own, as 05001 in 1973. It is seen here at Sandown in July 1978, freshly repainted. Eventually allocated the departmental number 97803, the loco was withdrawn from service in 1981, and is now at Haven Street.
483007 at Ryde.2 viewsHaving just emerged from the southern portal of Ryde Esplanade tunnel, 483007 has just passed the Ryde St Johns Road down line, distant signal as it approaches Rink Road bridge with the 17.08 Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin, on the 10th July 2010.
129 files on 11 page(s)

Choose your language: