Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home > Branch Lines > Branch Lines

IMG_0023_28Custom29~5.jpg
Class 122 Single Unit M55006 at Croston.1 viewsA rare sight of a Gloucester RC&W Class 122 Single Unit, M55006 coupled to the rear of a 2-Car Class 108 departing from Croston with an Ormskirk to Preston service on August 5th 1985. Newton Heath Depot had a pair of Class 122s allocated for use on the Stockport to Stalybridge services, but the appearance of one on the Ormskirk Line was almost certainly a one-off. The former Jubilee Mill complex that forms a backdrop here has now been demolished and replaced with houses.
IMG_0024_28800x53229.jpg
Quintrell Downs - Newquay Branch.0 viewsThe lady crossing keeper closes the level crossing gates at Quintell Downs, that protect the A3058 Road, on the 28th July 1980.
IMG_0024_28Custom29~5.jpg
GM Liveried 142008 at Croston.1 viewsWhen this image was recorded at Croston of 142008 on an Ormskirk to Preston service on June 18th 1986, No-one could have imagined what lay ahead for this particular unit. On June 23rd 1999, 142008 & 142003 were working an ECS from Crewe to Manchester at Winsford when they overran a red signal and emerged on to the Down Fast Line in the path of 87027 working the 06.35 Euston to Glasgow. 142008 was struck by the 87 and the damage to the Pacer was so severe that it was subsequently scrapped.
IMG_0024_28Custom29~6.jpg
The Lochty Private Railway - Fife - J94 No.16 (Ex Wemyss Private Railway)0 viewsA scene on the now closed Lochty Private Railway in Fife on July 19th 1981. Located on farmland, the track was relaid on what had been the East Fife Central Railway that had been closed by BR in 1965. The 3/4 mile line was opened in 1967 for operating the A4 Pacific 60009 -'Union of South Africa' which had been bought by John Cameron from BR. When the loco was allowed back on the main line in 1973, industrial tank locos operated the line. Falling visitor numbers saw the line close in 1992.

IMG_0024_28Custom29~7.jpg
Ffestiniog Railway 'Princess' at Blaenau Ffestiniog.0 viewsPlinthed at Blaenau Ffestiniog, 'Princess', one of the early George England locomotives built for the narrow-gauge Ffestiniog Railway in 1863, was on display adjacent to the former LNWR station in May 1978. The loco was displayed alongside the derelict trackbed of the line from Portmadog, that would not be reopened until 1982. In 1978 the Ffestiniog Railway terminated at Dduallt. That Crosville Bus just visible in the background was our transport down to Portmadog, 1227 FM was a 1963 Bristol MW.
IMG_0025_28800x57529.jpg
New Holland Town Signalbox & Level Crossing.0 viewsThe Signalbox & Level Crossing at the south end of New Holland Town Station on the 28th September 1980.
IMG_0026_28800x47629.jpg
New Holland Pier.0 viewsOne of the BR running-in boards at New Holland Pier in September 1980.
IMG_0026_28800x51829.jpg
Class 303, 303082 at Hadfield.1 viewsOnce part of the Great Central 'Woodhead' Main Line between Manchester & Sheffield, Hadfield became the terminus of the surviving passenger service from Manchester Piccadilly after the transpennine route closed in July 1981.
Ex Glasgow Blue Train Class 303, 303082 was at Hadfield on the 13th August 1985, waiting to depart for Glossop & Manchester. The closed section of the line is at the rear of the unit.

IMG_0027_28Custom29~0.jpg
'The Rossendale Farewell' at Ramsbottom.1 viewsThe last BR train to traverse the line from Bury to Rawtenstall was 'The Rossendale Farewell' Railtour, from Manchester Victoria on the 14th February 1981. This was the scene at Ramsbottom, at around 1.30pm on the outward journey, as the 6-Car DMU set pauses for the Level Crossing gates to be opened by the Train Crew. Cravens Class 105, M50794 brings up the rear. The Newton Heath allocated Cravens DMUs were frequent visitors to the route until the regular passenger services ceased on June 3rd 1972.
IMG_0027_28Custom29~1.jpg
Cravens Class 105, E50360 at Upminster.1 viewsCravens Class 105 2-Car DMU, formed of cars E50360 & E56421, stands in the non-electrified bay platform at Upminster, whilst awaiting departure to Romford on May 1st 1980. The branch is 3.4 miles in length and was electrified in 1986. From Upminster the line is single track all the way to Romford, where the line terminates in its own bay platform adjacent to the Great Eastern main line.
IMG_0028_28800x48429.jpg
Greater Manchester 142013 at Morecambe Promenade.1 viewsIn Greater Manchester orange livery, Class 142 142013 departs from a very sorry looking Morecambe Promenade Station with the 11.01 to Lancaster on the 6th November 1993. The once extensive seafront terminus was down to one operational island platform at this time. To the right of this scene is the facade of the magnificent art-deco Midland Hotel, built by the LMS in 1932.
IMG_0028_28800x49429.jpg
Southern Electrostar 377431 at Newhaven Town.0 viewsHaving passed under the A259, Southern Electrostar 377431 traverses the level crossing protecting the A26, as it arrives at Newhaven Town with a Brighton to Seaford Service on the 25th September 2010.
323 files on 27 page(s)

Choose your language: