Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home > BR Blues > BR Blues

IMG_0177_28Custom29_28229.jpg
Cravens Class 105 DMU at Meols Cop.3 viewsA Southport to Bolton Service formed of a Cravens Class 105 2-Car DMU, with M56127 leading, calls at Meols Cop in the Southport Suburbs on the 5th July 1980. Until September 1964, Meols Cop was the former mid journey reversal point for the electrics that worked from Southport to Crossens on the now closed line to Preston.
This Cravens set was one of the former Eastern Region batch that having been made redundant with the GN Electrification from Kings Cross, were moved North to Newton Heath Depot.
IMG_0184_28Custom29.jpg
Class 104, M53493 at Croft Street Sidings, Preston.4 viewsClass 104, M53493 was stabled with several sets of first generation DMU sets at Croft Street Sidings, adjacent to Preston Power Box on the 29th November 1986. The Sidings and Power Box are situated on the site of the former Preston MPD, closed in 1961 following a roof fire in 1960. Dominating the skyline is St Walburges Church, designed by Joseph Hansom of Hansom Cab fame, it has the tallest parish church spire in England at 309ft. The church was completed in 1854.
IMG_0188_28Custom29.jpg
25912 -'Tamworth Castle' at Wigan Springs Branch.2 views25912 -'Tamworth Castle' was stabled at Wigan Springs Branch Depot on November 6th 1986. The loco gained a special livery for an exhibition at Tamworth in 1984 when numbered 25322. It was renumbered to 25912 as part of a small sub-fleet of class 25s kept running beyond the withdrawal date of the rest of the class. The loco was amongst the last of the class built at Derby in 1967 after production had been switched from the financially troubled Beyer-Peacock in Manchester.
IMG_0189_28Custom29.jpg
Class 37, 37251 at Swansea East Dock.1 views37251 keeps company with a pair of 20 Ton brake vans whilst Sunday resting in the sidings at Swansea East Dock on October 11th 1981. The locomotive was new from English Electric at Vulcan Foundry on December 30th 1964 as D6951, and its first home was at Cardiff Canton Depot (86A). In August 1967 the loco was reallocated to the Eastern Region and following a nomadic life was transferred back to Cardiff in October 1976. The loco was withdrawn in 2001 at subsequently scrapped by Booths of Rotherham.

IMG_0199_28Custom29.jpg
Withdrawn Class 306 EMUs at Vic Berrys, Leicester.1 viewsWithdrawn Class 306 Liverpool Street - Shenfield electric multiple units, 073, 033 & 066 take refuge under the substantial girder bridge that took Upperton Road in Leicester over the former Great Central Main Line at this once busy location. Dating from 1949 the vintage units were awaiting the call to the adjacent scrapyard operated by Vic Berry on July 19th 1982. The well-worn units had been made redundant by newly built class 315 EMUs from BREL York.
IMG_0201_28Custom29.jpg
Class 110 Calder Valley DMU E52081 at Manchester Victoria.1 viewsA once familiar sight of a well-worn first generation DMU stood at an equally well-worn Manchester Victoria, on September 28th 1979. A BRCW Class 110 3-car DMU with DMCL E52081, complete with its first class saloon, was bringing up the rear of a tea-time service to Leeds via Halifax and Bradford. The former Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Calder Valley main line was the stamping ground for these units fitted with 180hp Rolls Royce engines for coping with the gradients on the cross Pennine route.
IMG_0207_28Custom29.jpg
Class 31, 31469 at Leyland.2 viewsClass 31 31469 stands on the Up Slow at Leyland station with three Mark 1 coaches forming the 16.20 Preston to Liverpool Lime Street service on May 1st 1990.
307 files on 26 page(s)

Choose your language: