Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home > Preston & District > Preston & District

IMG_0019_28800x60429.jpg
08744 at Preston.11 viewsClass 08, 08744 removes a defective Mark 1, Buffet/Restaurant Car, 1953, from a Glasgow Central to London Euston service, at Preston, on the 6th February 1988.
IMG_0019_28Custom29~1.jpg
Class 108, LO296 departs from Croston.4 viewsWith the former Jubilee Mill in the background, Class 108 set LO296 (53956 & 54238) departs from Croston whilst working the 15.08 Ormskirk to Preston on May 16th 1992. Once a familiar sight on these services, this was probably the last visit of a Derby built class 108 to the line. In the intervening years Jubilee Mill has been demolished and a housing development now covers the site.
IMG_0020_28800x52729.jpg
Class 25, 25912-'Tamworth Castle' at Preston Dock St.8 viewsClass 25/9, 25912 -'Tamworth Castle' stands in Preston Dock St Sidings with a ballast train on the 21st March 1987. The loco numbered as 25322, gained its special livery at Tyseley Depot for an appearance at a railfair at Tamworth in May 1984. In 1985 a small sub-class of 25s was created, and renumbered into the 25/9 series, all being allocated to Carlisle Kingmoor Depot.
IMG_0020_28800x55329.jpg
Class 45 45058 at Leyland.8 viewsA Tea-Time Liverpool Lime Street to Preston working, provided an out and back working for a variety of motive power that was spare in between turns at Liverpool. For a period during 1986, Class 45s off the TransPennine services were frequently used on this one service. Never a common sight previously in the Preston area, 45058 arrives at Leyland with the service to Preston on the 28 August 1986.

IMG_0020_28800x59529.jpg
37244 Deepdale Mill Street Level Crossing.9 viewsClass 37, 37244 pushes its train of loaded HEA Coal Hoppers across the level crossing at Deepdale Mill Street on the 3rd May 1990. The train is on the original 1840 Preston to Longridge Line, which had its separate isolated terminus at Deepdale, behind Stephenson Terrace.
IMG_0020_28Custom29~2.jpg
37429 at Chorley.5 viewsIn Regional Railways livery and with matching Mk2 coaches, 37429 -'Eisteddfod Genedlaethol' stands at Chorley on August 9th 1995 whilst working the 09.45 Manchester Piccadilly to Blackpool North service. 37429 was built at Vulcan Foundry in 1965 as D6600, the loco was in service for 37 years, being withdrawn in 2002. It was scrapped in 2008.
IMG_0020_28Custom29~3.jpg
Class 108, LO296 at Moss Lane Junction.8 viewsIt was a return to the old order on Preston to Ormskirk services on May 16th 1992, as a Class 108 returned to its former stamping ground due to the non-availability of a Class 142 Pacer. LO296, (53980 + 54238) is seen topping the climb from the WCML at Farington Curve Junction as it approaches the site of the former Moss Lane Junction. To the right of the unit a double track connection ran towards Lostock Hall enabling trains from East Lancashire to access Ormskirk and Liverpool. It was closed in 1972.
IMG_0021_28800x50429.jpg
Class 40, 40026 at Preston.8 viewsClass 40 40026 stands at the PCD platform at Preston with a southbound mail & parcels working in June 1979. The train is a typical mixed rake vehicles, BR GUVs, a Mark 1 Full Brake, a Southern 4-wheeled Utility Van and several BR 4-Wheeled CCTs.

IMG_0021_28800x53629.jpg
Class 37, 37407 & Regional Railways stock at Leyland.8 viewsClass 37, 37407-'Blackpool Tower' awaits departure from Leyland in May 1996, with the morning Blackpool North to Manchester Victoria 'Club' Train. Behind the locomotive is a smart looking Regional Railways Mark 1 Brake Second. 37407 was built at Vulcan Foundry, and entered traffic numbered D6605 in October 1965, allocated to Cardiff Canton Depot.
IMG_0021_28800x53729.jpg
EWS Class 66, 66110 at Leyland Station.7 viewsWith the Down Fast Line lifted for renewal, 66110 stands on the Up Fast Line at Leyland Station with train of spoil and ballast wagons on the 2nd April 2005.
IMG_0021_28Custom29~1.jpg
GM 142001 & 142002 at Leyland.7 viewsIn Greater Manchester livery, Pioneer Class 142s 142001 & 142002 pause at Leyland whist working the 12.28 Blackpool North to Liverpool Lime Street service on October 25th 1987.
IMG_0021_28Custom29~2.jpg
40002 at Deepdale.8 views40002 heads along the former Preston to Longridge branch, running between Porter Street and Deepdale Road with a rake of empty 21 Ton Coal Hoppers returning from Fletcher Road to Healey Mills on a dull and overcast August 15th 1983. The loco is passing through the site of Deepdale Station, closed in 1930 when regular passenger trains were withdrawn by the LMS between Preston and Longridge. 40002 was new from Vulcan Foundry in April 1958 and was withdrawn after 26 years service in May 1984.
595 files on 50 page(s)

Choose your language: