Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home > BR Blues

Albums

IMG_0099_28Large29~0.jpg
307 files, last one added on Dec 10, 2015
1 albums on 1 page(s)

Random files - BR Blues

5-27-2010_017_28800x51929.jpg
Class 506 EMU, M59406M at Horwich Works.6 viewsManchester Glossop Hadfield, 1500v DC emu driving trailer, M59406M, was undergoing an overhaul in the main erecting shop at Horwich Works on the 16th August 1980.
IMG_0006_28800x50029.jpg
Class 76, 76046 at Woodhead.8 viewsOn a dull day in August 1977, Class 76, 76046 has just emerged into daylight on the western side of the Pennines after passing through the three mile long Woodhead Tunnel. 76046 is hauling a mixed rake of wagons, probably bound for Dewsnap or Ashburys Sidings. The locomotive was vacuum brake fitted only, and earlier in its career had carried the name 'Archimedes' and been fitted with steam heat to work passenger trains. To the left of this scene are the two original single bore tunnels of 1845 & 1853.
3-19-2010_058_28800x49129.jpg
Class 25, 25145 at Manchester Victoria.5 viewsIn September 1979, Class 25 25145 was the wallside pilot bank engine at Manchester Victoria. The locomotive was on standby to bank eastbound freight trains up the steep gradient to Miles Platting. The wallside pilots, along with the old ramshackle Manchester Victoria with its coastal buffet, visible here in the shadows behind 25145, are long departed.
IMG_0166_28Custom29.jpg
Class 40, 40082 at Preston Docks.5 viewsOn the undeveloped former Preston Dock Estate, 40082 has arrived with a train of PCA Cement Wagons from Hope in Derbyshire on the 9th July 1984. The cement was destined for the construction of the Penwortham By-Pass bridge over the adjacent River Ribble under construction at the time.
The 40 was new from Vulcan Foundry in 1960 numbered D282. It was withdrawn from service in November 1984, and scrapped at Crewe Works in January 1986.

IMG_0003_28Custom29~1.jpg
47351 at Talacre.8 viewsA rather grimy Class 47, 47351 is about to pass the former LNWR Signalbox as it brings a loaded train of HAA Coal Hoppers out of Point of Ayr Colliery, and onto the North Wales Coast Main Line at Talacre on July 26th 1978. The coal was destined for Fiddlers Ferry Power Station near Warrington. Point of Ayr Colliery closed in 1996.
IMG_0029_28Custom29~3.jpg
West Yorkshire PTE Class 101 at Hest Bank.0 viewsA view from the footbridge at Hest Bank looking North on October 17th 1977. A refurbished Metro-Cammell Class 101 complete with West Yorkshire PTE symbols crosses to the Down Line whilst working a Leeds to Morecambe service. The unit would traverse the now rarely used link from Hest Bank on the WCML to Bare Lane on the outskirts of Morecambe.
IMG_0033_28Custom29~8.jpg
Class 25 25052 at St Blazey Depot.3 viewsIn deepest Cornwall, A tired looking Class 25, 25052 keeps company with various Departmental Wagons and a Single Unit Railcar (W55026/P126) at St Blazey Depot on an overcast 27th July 1980. It was the transfer of Class 25s from the London Midland Region in the early 1970s that brought an end to the short careers of the small Western Region Diesel Hydraulics, (NBL Class 22s & Hymeks). 25052 emerged new from Derby as D5202 in 1963 and had been a LMR allocated loco until transferred to Bristol in January 1972.
IMG_0046_28Custom29~4.jpg
08524 at Eccles (Liverpool & Manchester 150)2 views08524 stands at Eccles with three replica Liverpool & Manchester Railway Coaches on September 14th 1980. The 08 had brought the stock from Liverpool Road Museum at Manchester, ready for the arrival of VIPs from Liverpool Lime Street, who once at Eccles would transfer to the 'old train' for the last stage of the journey to Manchester hauled by the vintage L&M locomotive 'Lion'. This was to commemorate the opening of the route between the two cities on September 15th 1830.

Last additions - BR Blues

IMG_0099_28Large29~0.jpg
37013 at Farington Curve Junction.0 views37013 trundles along the Up Slow as it approaches Farington Curve Junction whilst working the Saturday only Blackpool North to Sheffield formed of Mark 1 stock on August 13th 1983. This was a time-honoured Summer service that ran out and back on a Saturday running via East Lancashire and Copy Pit.
Dec 10, 2015
IMG_0046_28Large29.jpg
08954 at Plymouth.2 viewsWith the roof tops of Plymouth as a backdrop, 08954 was shunting parcel and mail vans at Plymouth station on July 26th 1980. This was a time-honoured scene at all major stations - now sadly consigned to history. The 08 was new from Darington Works in October 1962 numbered D4184, its first home was at Ebbw Junction (86A) and it was tranferred to Laira (84A) in May 1971.Nov 07, 2015
IMG_0044_28Large29.jpg
47033 arrives at Dawlish.1 views47033 and its 6-coach train of Mark 1 coaches has emerged from Kennaway Tunnel and is running alongside a busy looking Marine Parade, as it arrives at Dawlish whilst working a Paignton to Exeter St Davids local stopping service on April 8th 1980.Nov 07, 2015
IMG_0053_28Large29.jpg
Class 45 45005 passes Dawlish Warren.2 viewsOn a rather overcast 8th April 1980, 45005 accelerates a lengthy NE/SW service made up of MkI stock on the Down through road at Dawlish Warren. With mechanical signalling and plenty of loco-hauled trains - Happy Days!Oct 02, 2015

IMG_0022_28Large29.jpg
Class 25, 25221 at Wigan Springs Branch.3 viewsWithdrawn Class 25 25221 pokes out from under Warrington Road bridge at the side of Wigan Springs Branch Depot on June 30th 1984. 25221 was originally D7571, built at Derby Works in 1963, it was withdrawn in January 1984 and after lanquishing for a while at Wigan, was scrapped at Swindon Works in 1986.Mar 08, 2015
IMG_0101_28Large29.jpg
08457 at Rugby.1 viewsOn a damp May 17th 1981, 08457 spends Sunday Afternoon sheltering in one of the bay platforms under the LNWR overall roof at Rugby.Mar 08, 2015
IMG_0002_28Large29.jpg
Class 40, 40082 at Northwich Depot.6 viewsOn a damp 9th September 1984, 40082 was stabled outside Northwich Depot between duties. The loco was new from Vulcan Foundry at Newton-Le-Willows in June 1960 as D282. Its first allocation was at York (50A). It spent 13 years as an Eastern Region machine before being transferred to the London Midland Region in 1973. 40082 was withdrawn from service due to power unit damage in November 1984 and was scrapped at Crewe Works in January 1986.
Mar 01, 2015
IMG_0138_28Custom29.jpg
Class 306 EMUs at Leicester (GC).2 viewsDating from 1949, former Liverpool St-Shenfield Class 306 EMUs, 055, 033, 083 & 078 wait at the entrance to Vic Berrys Scrapyard at Leicester on July 19th 1982. The location is adjacent to the former Great Central Main Line, that last saw a passenger train in 1969 when the DMU service between Rugby and Nottingham was withdrawn. Upperton Road bridge that once spanned the extensive trackwork at this location, was demolished in 2007 - yet another bit of the infrastructure of the old GC Main Line lost forever.Feb 13, 2015

Choose your language: