Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home > Pre-Privatisation

Albums

IMG_0074_28Custom29~3.jpg
78 files, last one added on Dec 07, 2014
1 albums on 1 page(s)

Random files - Pre-Privatisation

IMG_0014_28800x49629.jpg
31130 & Wagons in Carnforth Down Sidings.2 viewsClass 31, 31130 with barrier wagons and a Brake Van are stabled in the Down Sidings at Carnforth on the 10th May 1992. The train would be en-route to BNFL Sellafield to collect a Nuclear Flask Wagon. These trains were amongst the last to use a Brake Van in the traditional manner. The consist from the loco was - RNA Barrier Wagon 361968, RNA Barrier Wagon 360141 & Brake Van B954962.
IMG_0025_28Custom29.jpg
GM Pacer 142009 at Manchester Victoria.3 viewsLate afternoon sunlight shines through the old Manchester Victoria, on the 3rd February 1990. Still wearing its original Greater Manchester PTE Orange & Brown livery, 142009 was stabled where in years gone by, the Wallside pilot engines stood in position to bank Eastbound trains up the incline to Miles Platting. Victoria Station still showed the scars following a visit from the German Luftwaffe in December 1940, when much of the overall roof on the through platforms was destroyed, never to be replaced.
IMG_0011_28Custom29.jpg
101681 at Hooton.2 viewsOnce a four track main line from Birkenhead Woodside to Chester, the route has been rationalised following the closure of the Woodside Terminus in 1967, and the run-down of rail freight from the docks of Birkenhead. On September 1st 1993, 101681 in Regional Railways livery was stood at Hooton with the connecting service to Chester. The emu is in the adjacent platform having arrived from Liverpool. The 3rd rail was extended from Rock Ferry to Hooton in 1985 and was futher extended to Chester in 1993.
IMG_0060_28Custom29.jpg
142014 arrives at Barrow-In-Furness.1 viewsA long way from its home depot at Newton Heath, Greater Manchester/Regional Railways liveried 142014 arrives at Barrow-In-Furness with the 14.16 service from Millom on August 31st 1996.

IMG_0066_28Custom29~0.jpg
43029 passes Starcross.1 viewsEarly morning on the Exe Estuary at Starcross, as HST Power Car 43029 brings the 05.21 Penzance to London Paddington around the curve from Cockwood Harbour on May 27th 1989.
IMG_0011_28Custom29~6.jpg
Class 37, 37676 at Deansgate.2 viewsIn Railfreight Construction Livery, 37686 drifts through Deansgate as it heads light engine towards Manchester Oxford Road on April 25th 1992. The loco was a product of Vulcan Foundry at Newton-Le-Willows in September 1963, numbered D6872. It became 37172 in 1973 and was renumbered 37676 in 1986. The loco was withdrawn from service in July 2000 and finally scrapped at Booths, Rotherham in 2006.
IMG_0008_28Custom29~7.jpg
Class 47, 47190 -'Pectinidae' at Padiham Power Station.0 viewsComplete with an ex-works Shell TEA bogie tank wagon, 47190 -'Pectinidae' in Railfreight Petroleum Sector livery was one of the exhibits at the Padiham Power Station open day on October 8th 1989. Allocated to Crewe Diesel Depot, the 47 was one of several that carried the Latin names for various shells, a corporate link to the traffic carried to and from from the Shell oil refinery at Stanlow. The loco was new from Brush in June 1965 numbered D1840. It was withdrawn from service in 1994 and scrapped in 1998.
IMG_0045_28Custom29~6.jpg
'Lion' at Cross Lane, Salford. (Liverpool & Manchester 150).1 viewsAgainst a backdrop that has changed beyond recognition, vintage Liverpool & Manchester Railway locomotive 'Lion' rumbles along the original L&M route at Cross Lane, Salford on September 14th 1980. Consisting of three replica coaches, the train was running from Eccles to Liverpool Road (The original Manchester terminus), commemorating the opening of the line in 1830. The train was being shadowed by Police Officers in a blue Hillman Avenger, as amongst the VIPs was the then Home Secretary, Willam Whitelaw.

Last additions - Pre-Privatisation

IMG_0074_28Custom29~3.jpg
Class 28 Co-Bo, D5705/TDB968006 at Swindon.1 viewsWhilst on an official visit to Swindon Works on October 12th 1981, there was a chance encounter with the sole-surviving Class 28 Co-Bo, D5705/TDB968006. Following withdrawal in 1968 the loco passed to the Derby RTC for use on the Tribology Test Train. It then was used as a train-heat locomotive in South Wales, the loco eventually passed into presevation. In 1981 the Co-Bo seemed to be still carrying its faded original green livery.Dec 07, 2014
IMG_0045_28Custom29~6.jpg
'Lion' at Cross Lane, Salford. (Liverpool & Manchester 150).1 viewsAgainst a backdrop that has changed beyond recognition, vintage Liverpool & Manchester Railway locomotive 'Lion' rumbles along the original L&M route at Cross Lane, Salford on September 14th 1980. Consisting of three replica coaches, the train was running from Eccles to Liverpool Road (The original Manchester terminus), commemorating the opening of the line in 1830. The train was being shadowed by Police Officers in a blue Hillman Avenger, as amongst the VIPs was the then Home Secretary, Willam Whitelaw.Nov 16, 2014
IMG_0049_28Custom29~6.jpg
47471 at Daisyfield, Blackburn.1 views47471-'Norman Tunna GC' drifts past the level crossing & signal box at Daisyfield on the North East side of Blackburn with a diverted Glasgow to Birmingham service on March 11th 1989. The train is passing the remains of Daisyfield Station closed in 1958. Beyond the derelict platforms the 47 will join the East Lancashire route at Daisyfield Junction just East of Blackburn Station. 47471 emerged from Crewe Works as D1598 in June 1964. It was withdrawn in December 2004 and scrapped in February 2005.Nov 02, 2014
IMG_0008_28Custom29~7.jpg
Class 47, 47190 -'Pectinidae' at Padiham Power Station.0 viewsComplete with an ex-works Shell TEA bogie tank wagon, 47190 -'Pectinidae' in Railfreight Petroleum Sector livery was one of the exhibits at the Padiham Power Station open day on October 8th 1989. Allocated to Crewe Diesel Depot, the 47 was one of several that carried the Latin names for various shells, a corporate link to the traffic carried to and from from the Shell oil refinery at Stanlow. The loco was new from Brush in June 1965 numbered D1840. It was withdrawn from service in 1994 and scrapped in 1998.Apr 04, 2014

IMG_0042_28Custom29~2.jpg
Class 58, 58039 at Doncaster Works.0 viewsUnder a brooding sky, 58039 -'Rugeley Power Station' in Railfreight Coal Sector livery, was on display as one of the exhibits at Doncaster Works open day on July 12th 1992. New from Doncaster in March 1986, 58039 was withdrawn by EWS in December 1999. In 2003 the loco was exported to Holland to work for ACTS, but in 2009 the loco was transferred to the French operator ETF, but is currently stored out of use.Mar 22, 2014
IMG_0009_28Custom29~10.jpg
Class 58, 58030 at Butterley.0 viewsThere is still an element of newness about 58030 as it stands on display at Butterley on 13th July 1985 as part of the Midland Railway Centre diesel gala. 58030 had been constructed at Doncaster Works a month earlier in June 1985. The loco was withdrawn from service in 2002 carrying EWS maroon livery. 58030 departed for Spain in 2004 working for operator GIF.Jan 26, 2014
IMG_0035_28Custom29~7.jpg
HST Power Car 43002 departs from Dawlish.1 viewsPioneer production HST Power Car, 43002 departs from Dawlish at the rear of the 16.35 London Paddington to Plymouth on the evening of May 31st 1995. 43002 was first off the production line at BREL Crewe in 1975. The power car is still in service as part of the First Great Western fleet based at Plymouth Laira Depot. How many miles must have this machine travelled in 39 years?Jan 22, 2014
IMG_0020_28Custom29~4.jpg
141009 at Leeds Neville Hill Depot.0 viewsIn original condition and livery of Verona Green and Buttermilk, a rather grubby looking 141009 was stabled at Leeds Neville Hill Depot on March 15th 1987, formed of cars 55510 & 55530. The 20 narrow-bodied units were refurbished to improve reliability and to make them compatable with other second generation DMUs in 1988/89. 141009 was renumbered 141110 following refurbishment and was withdrawn from active service in 1997. The unit passed to the Weardale Railway, becoming a spares donor for 141103 (141002).Jan 02, 2014

Choose your language: