Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home > Industrial Locomotives

Albums

IMG_0121_28Large29.jpg
56 files, last one added on Mar 01, 2015
1 albums on 1 page(s)

Random files - Industrial Locomotives

IMG_0110_28800x51629.jpg
Sentinel 01565 at Booths Rotherham.8 viewsFlanked by withdrawn 1967 Victoria Line tube stock, Sentinel, 0-6-0 diesel shunter, works number 10144, number 01565 was in Booths Scrapyard, Rotherham on February 12th 2011. Formerly used by Jarvis Rail at York, the loco had been registered to run on the national network. At Booths, the loco was being used to shunt tube stock, coupled to a match truck.
DSCF0716_28800x58129.jpg
Wabtec Sentinel 0-4-0 at Long Marston.2 viewsBuilt by Sentinel in 1962, works number 10137, this 0-4-0 diesel had become a hire loco for Wabtec, numbered H013. The loco was in store at Long Marston on September 12th 2010.
4-16-2010_008_28800x57429.jpg
Ex BR Class 03, D2049 at West Hallam.4 viewsFormer BR Class 03, D2049 stands at West Hallam Open Cast Coal Mine on Sunday 16th August 1981. The loco was coupled to a rake of HAA Coal Hoppers ready for loading.
IMG_0100_28Custom29~1.jpg
Ex BR Class 04, D2272 at Blackburn King Street.4 viewsEx BR Drewry Class 04, D2272 was stabled at the North end of the Coal Concentration Depot at Blackburn King Street on a dull August 20th 1979. The Loco was new in March 1958, and was withdrawn in October 1970 from Bradford Hammerton Street Depot as part of the BR National Traction Plan which rationalised the numbers and types of locomotives in use on BR. The Loco is now in the collection of the Heritage Shunters Trust at Rowsley, awaiting restoration.

IMG_0032_28Custom29~3.jpg
Agecroft No.3 at Agecroft Sidings.2 viewsOn the last day of steam operation at Agecroft Colliery and Power Station, September 12th 1981, Agecroft No.3 stands with a BR 20 Ton Brake Van, B955208 being used to give rides up and down the sidings that ran parallel to the Manchester Victoria - Bolton Line. The loco was built by Robert Stephensons & Hawthorn in 1951, works number 7681. It was one of trio of resident RSH saddle tanks that were in use at this location. Agecroft No.3 is currently at the Swindon Museum of Steam.
IMG_0432_28Custom29.JPG
A565 Derby Road, Liverpool.0 viewsAt the corner of Derby Road and Bankfield Street in the Liverpool Dockland area, there is a static mounted Diesel Shunter. It carries no identification, but appears to be a Ruston & Hornsby 88DS type. It is a visual reminder that there were once two major railway freight yards adjacent to this location. The LNWR had its Canada Dock Goods Yard, and the L&Y had Bankfield Goods. Both locations were very busy up to the 1960s, and they both had access to the MD&HB system running to the west along Regent Road.
IMG_0057_28Custom29~1.jpg
Kearsley Power Station No.2 at Rainhill.0 viewsIn a quiet corner of the events field at Rainhill on May 26th 1980, Kearsley Power Station electric loco No.2 had been given a garish livery and was promoting the CEGB. The loco was surrounded by various gems of the then British Motor Industry, a Ford Cortina, a Vauxhall Chevette and an Austin Allegro, which was only two years old at the time, but looks as though it already has a rising tide of black underseal!
IMG_0023_28Custom29~7.jpg
Fowler Diesel at Kearsley Power Station.0 viewsA woebegone looking John Fowler 0-4-0 diesel shunter (Works Number JF4210078/1952) was sandwiched between a pair of internal user ex BR Mineral Wagons at the mothballed Kearsley power station on May 13th 1982. The loco was in secure storage along with other CEGB North West area locomotives from power stations that had closed. The wagon on the left appears to be a makeshift overhead line vehicle for the 500v system at Kearsley, not too sure if it would pass todays H&S culture!

Last additions - Industrial Locomotives

IMG_0121_28Large29.jpg
GKN 0-6-0 370 Cardiff Steel (Tremorfa).0 viewsWith the barriers down across a public road, GKN 370 a Yorkshire Engine Company 0-6-0 shunter - 'Carlisle' (2755/1959), transfers a load of glowing furnace waste in the Tremorfa Steel Works complex on June 28th 1981. The locomotive started life with the Port of London Authority but as the London Docks contracted the fleet were sold on. The heat from the load in those battered ex BR 16 Tom Mineral Wagons was quite intense!Mar 01, 2015
IMG_0022_28Custom29~5.jpg
Barclay Fireless 'Lord Ashfield' at Kearsley Power Station.0 viewsOn the evening of May 13th 1982, redundant CEGB North West Area locomotives were in secure storage at the mothballed Kearsley power station between Bolton & Manchester. 'Lord Ashfield' had come from the closed Fleetwood power station. The fireless locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay of Kilmarnock in 1931, (Works Number 1989) and went new to Brimsdown power station in East London. It was transferred to Fleetwood in 1975. It is now preserved in the SRPS museum at Bo'ness.Oct 11, 2014
IMG_0023_28Custom29~7.jpg
Fowler Diesel at Kearsley Power Station.0 viewsA woebegone looking John Fowler 0-4-0 diesel shunter (Works Number JF4210078/1952) was sandwiched between a pair of internal user ex BR Mineral Wagons at the mothballed Kearsley power station on May 13th 1982. The loco was in secure storage along with other CEGB North West area locomotives from power stations that had closed. The wagon on the left appears to be a makeshift overhead line vehicle for the 500v system at Kearsley, not too sure if it would pass todays H&S culture!Oct 11, 2014
IMG_0020_28Custom29~5.jpg
Ex BR Class 05s, D2587 & D2595 at Kearsley Power Station.0 viewsWith the structures of the mothballed power station at Kearsley as a backdrop, Ex BR Class 05 diesel shunters that had been CEGB Numbers 1 & 2 from Chadderton power station, were stored with other redundant CEGB North West Area locomotives on the evening of May 13th 1982. The power station opened in 1929 and closed in October 1980, Everything has since been demolished and cleared, and housing now covers the area.Oct 11, 2014

IMG_0021_28Custom29~6.jpg
Kearsley Power Station.0 viewsIn the fading light of a Spring evening on May 13th 1982, stored CEGB locomotives were gathered at Kearsley Power Station near Bolton. The power station was mothballed and the 500v system that connected the power station to the Manchester-Bolton line was redundant. Electric loco No.2 that had been one of the exhibits at Rainhill in 1980 was stood with ex BR Class 05s that had come from the power station at nearby Chadderton. The locos were formerly numbered D2587 & D2595.
Oct 11, 2014
IMG_0057_28Custom29~1.jpg
Kearsley Power Station No.2 at Rainhill.0 viewsIn a quiet corner of the events field at Rainhill on May 26th 1980, Kearsley Power Station electric loco No.2 had been given a garish livery and was promoting the CEGB. The loco was surrounded by various gems of the then British Motor Industry, a Ford Cortina, a Vauxhall Chevette and an Austin Allegro, which was only two years old at the time, but looks as though it already has a rising tide of black underseal!Oct 11, 2014
IMG_0432_28Custom29.JPG
A565 Derby Road, Liverpool.0 viewsAt the corner of Derby Road and Bankfield Street in the Liverpool Dockland area, there is a static mounted Diesel Shunter. It carries no identification, but appears to be a Ruston & Hornsby 88DS type. It is a visual reminder that there were once two major railway freight yards adjacent to this location. The LNWR had its Canada Dock Goods Yard, and the L&Y had Bankfield Goods. Both locations were very busy up to the 1960s, and they both had access to the MD&HB system running to the west along Regent Road.Jun 23, 2014
IMG_0134_28Custom29.jpg
Drewry Shunter 'Pegasus' at Birkenhead Docks.0 viewsOperated by the Rea Bulk Handling Company, 'Pegasus' a 150hp Drewry 0-4-0 built at Vulcan Foundry in 1949, Works number 2270, was stabled close to the junction of Corporation Road and Duke Street at Birkenhead Docks on August 9th 1981. In the left background are the offices of the Blue Funnel Line and just visible on the left is a bogie bolster wagon, all part the scene of the then busy working port - now all history.Apr 06, 2014

Choose your language: